Important news on registering alcohol containers

As of February 22, 2024, AGLC will no longer register alcohol containers with the BCMB on behalf of the liquor agencies. We are currently experiencing system issues that may potentially delay the alcohol container registration process. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are actively working to resolve the issue. Learn More

What you need

Before your initial licence application as an Alberta liquor manufacturer, make sure your business meets requirements of both AGLC and your local municipality.

Before your initial application

Get in touch with your municipality as early as possible to make sure your proposed location is zoned for liquor manufacturing.

AGLC requires you to meet several preliminary business requirements before you can apply for your liquor manufacturing licence. Some of these requirements are:

  • signed offer to lease or purchase for your premises
  • site plan, which must include a overview of the block with adjacent buildings/businesses, street names and directions
  • floor plan, which must include entrances/exits, washrooms, office, proposed equipment placement and locations of any off-sales, lounge, and taproom areas
  • business plan, which must include a manufacturing plan, amount of production in hectolitres per year, marketing and distribution plan (self-distributed or through AGLC), and proposed products and packaging
  • list of commercial grade equipment, which must include dimensions and details
  • Proof of application for a federal excise licence, such as a confirmation email from the Canada Revenue Agency

For a complete list of preliminary requirements, see Apply for your licences.

Later documents and requirements

After the initial portion of the application is accepted, AGLC will post your application on the AGLC website for five days. After that waiting period, you must provide additional documents to finish the application process. Some of these documents are:

  • A copy of your Certificate of Incorporation
  • A copy of the signed lease agreement or certificate of title in the name of the applicant
  • A copy of your fire approval
  • A copy of your city business licence or written approval of the municipality
  • A copy of your federal excise licence

For a complete list of final application requirements, see Apply for your licences.